Operation Central America

Come and see what is happening on the Operation Central America missions trip. Also learn about the teams and their prayer requests.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

God Is Moving - OCA Report for June 12, 2007

Hola mi familia! Its jeff, today was hot, and sweaty, and I met a man… we named him master. He taught me how to break rocks really good. There were two other men, they were the masters of the stairs and the master of the cement. They were like mine own Guatemalan family. Cole hit me with rocks, and so did longreed, they made me bleed, and I became the rock apprentice. Then I hit Cole back…. Adios.
Saude

!Hola! This is Tim. To clarify what Jeff was talking about, our job was to break rocks for the orphanage foundation. Cole, Jeff and I were getting nowhere fast and by after lunch we had a long way to go. So the man working with us decided to give us a helping hand, he took six swings at the rock and totally took off a huge chunk of the rock. Jeff and I stood there in amazement and thus we decided to call him the master. Adios
~Tim

Estamos muy cansados porque nosotros trabajamos mucho hoy. Things are incredibly different in Campur than anywhere else I’ve ever been, but it’s like an adventure back in time. Los mimos have been really busy as we have performed twice and learned almost all of the material for our 30 minute performance. Astonishingly we all have several minor scrapes from falling, rolling, and tripping over and over again (no worries, on purpose). Yesterday we presented our mime for the church service and this afternoon we performed for a school of roughly 200 students. It’s been continuously busy, but the fight scenes in our new mime stuff is amazingly entertaining. Hasta lavista amigos y familia.
~elizabeth

Hola Madre, Padre y mis amigos!
Yo soy Taylor! Yo trabaje mucho hoy y mi espalda me duele mucho! I’ll stop writing in Spanish for my mother’s sake although she’s getting pretty good! I worked on the orphanage making cement and building a wall it was hard work! It was super hot today but the rain came for a bout 5 minuets to cool us down. Brian took me to see the area in which a house will be built for a widowed mother and her five children! That house is being paid for by some generous people and they gave a lot so they will have a huge house for a Guatemalan! I took many pictures today of the lot for the house, me working and of the kids! I met so many kids today we played games for and hour before lunch. I’m amazed at how much my Spanish is helping me and how easy it is to communicate with the kids and people! I love the kids they just love you and cling to you they tickle you and even though I’m not ticklish I still laughed. We also played London bridge is falling down and we played duck, duck, gray duck in Spanish it was great! I’m having a blast and I haven’t eaten any of my food from home yet mom you will be proud to hear that! I love and miss you all and am thinking about you all the time!
With much love, Taylor! I’d like to add that Taylor yelled at me for writing so much…Elizabeth

Hola Padres!
Campur is a really exciting, but different place to be! Just a second ago, everyone was playing with the kids and they couldn’t get enough of us! Today the mime team practiced a lot of the rest of our performance and we were able to perform at the Campur middle school. It was so hot, but it was totally worth it because we were able to bring a number of students to Christ. In the girls room we’ve been having some…bathroom issues…the toilets stopped flushing and the showers didn’t have any water and then the sink kinda fell off the wall and shattered…fun times in Guatemala! Tonight I played Fútbol with some of the guys, we played against a team of Guatemalans and it was amazing! I’m really sweaty right now, but I scored the first goal for our team!...we got creamed!
Love You, Christina

Hola! Its Krista again.. Today we had an INCREDIBLE day! Childrens team drove through the mountains/rainforest some more. It was gorgeous. The kids were so happy to see us, and they would chase the vans when we would leave. I started giving Kids high fives, and they decided to have a contest to see who could hit my hand the hardest… so needless to say, my hands were a little sore. Our vans got stuck at one point, but it wasn’t that huge of a deal. We got to stand in the rain. It provided some great relief from sweatiness. Today is Kelly’s Birthday! J She laughed at my card! Well, I am being summoned to dinner. Which is steak and beans! I love you all, and miss you all!

p.s. right now I am listening to skillet.. “Those Nights”. Ashley, I thought you’d want to know that.

Mucho amor,
~Krista

Hi family!
I miss you all soooooooooo much!!! Today was really hard for me because I missed you all but I made it through! It was certainly an interesting birthday. Thanks for all of the gifts that you gave me! The boys woke me up with fire crackers today so that was fun. You have probably heard what the children’s team did all ready so I wont go into a lot of detail. I slept like a baby last night and I’m hoping to do the same again tonight. I am going to need all the strength I can get for tomorrow! Please keep praying! I’m hoping that everything will get better. I love you all sooo much and I miss you like crazy! Thanks for the great gift Steph and I loved the pictures you sent with! Mom I love you so much and you made my birthday great! Dad I hope you are not driving Steph to crazy! Well I should go eat now!
I love you TONS
Kelly

Hi mom, dad, and tate! It’s cole
I have giant open blisters that I made the mistake of putting purell on. The pain made me wish I was dead! Otherwise we had an awesome time breaking rocks and making cement. We got owned by a Guatemalan guy who we called master. God is good!
Love you!

Hi Mom and Dad, we performed at a middle school today. It was really muy caliente but it was totally worth it. 8 people accepted Christ!!!!! I’m loving it here. Don’t worry I am brushing my teeth and all that stuff so don’t worry. Our 30 minute skit is going along just great.
Love you,
Andreya “Miss Andreya”
Hola nuestras familias!

We had our first day in the medical clinic today; it went pretty well! We were initially kind of overwhelmed by the thousands of pills, crèmes, and bandages, but we eventually got the hang of it. We probably saw about 140 patients today…it was muy intense. The food is DELICIOUS. The women in Campur wake up around 3:00 in the morning to start cooking breakfast for us…wow are we grateful! Americans canNOT play soccer (futbol) compared to these Guatemalans! Our team got OWNED in the futbol game this evening. (Maybe that’s why we’ve always brought basketball teams in past years…)

If Courtney sees this, we hope she and Anna have a great trip to Hungary. Love you!

Praise GOD that our toilets got fixed!! For a few hours there we had no flushing toilets…YAY SERVICE TEAM!
Adios!

Children’s team is fantastico, tambien.

Love, Claire and Amanda





Howdy Duda Schiemos and Palmbergs

We are reporting live via satellite computer ala Guatemala!!!!!!!! Guess what, we are still alive, we have had some great adventures already. Mt.Vesuvius has already erupted in the bathroom of our cabins. Its pretty awesome and it smells pretty bad too! U actually saw a spider catch fire that was by the toilet. That’s how bad it is. Anyways, just wanted to let you know that everything is great and sanitary here. I haven’t eaten anything but sugar and tortillas for the last 2 days. And pop tarts. Those are ballin as well as beef jerky. That is one beautiful roach on the door (Brian Schulenburg) So yea everything is pretty chill here. We are doing some great work here. Andy is playing with los juventes. Palms is treating diseases and healing the blind…sorta. Trent is doing an amputation tomorrow, he practiced on a perrrrrrrrro today. Scalpel. Death Anyways, we’ll talk to you families sometime later. Good luck, and good night. Roporting live from San Diego, Im Ron Burgendy?

The Lord’s tortillas shine with glory.

Love your favvvvvv(e) kids on the blockos.

~Trent P and Andy Schiemo (and Trent S too dawg)

Hey this is Christa!

So I’ve decided that Guatemala is pretty much amazing and I love the kids even though they will just sit and laugh at you because of your Spanish or the way you look. Its not as hot as you think but its completely acceptable. I really want some ice cubes when I get back to the states and a toilet that I can flush without worrying about whether or not there’s enough water. I could really go for some applebees too. And maybe a pickle. I miss you guys so much. But its so cool out here. I will honestly never be afraid to kill another bug in my life because Ive seen cockroaches so big that I didn’t know they existed. I love everyone and will see you soon!

Love always,
Christa


Hey Parents and Supporters,

Once again I just have to write how proud that you would be of your kids. They are doing an awesome job! Today our medical team will be in a remote village. They are ministering in an area with no electricity. Pray for them as they serve God in this community. Our mime team will be joining them there for the first part of the day. They will then travel to a region that is famous for their caves. Last year’s OCA Basketball team had a chance to travel to this region. We are excited about seeing God use them in Lanquin. Our service team continues to do a tremendous job working on projects for the Viva Abundante Church and the Children’s Home/Orphanage that they are building. The Children’s Team will minister throughout the region, ending their day in the largest school in Campur. We are still relatively healthy. Please pray that things stay this way. Our students are having a hard time believing that our time in Campur will be ending soon. Tomorrow is our last full day of ministry here. Then it’s off to Guatemala City for a completely different experience on the weekend. One of the things that this trip will teach our students is the diversity of the body of Christ. The church we are serving this weekend is very Pentecostal, which is a different experience than our students are used to. Please pray that they will be able to appreciate the differences in the body of Christ and that God will use them in this setting.

In Him,

Brian Schulenburg

14 Comments:

  • At 11:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Taylor,

    We are so impressed and excited by reading your words and those from the rest of the team and listening to the updates on the hotline. Your Mom and I praise God that you (all) are enjoying this incredible journey and that the Holy Spirit is loving on you thru the people of Campur.

    1 Thes 3:12 "May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you."

    We love and miss you! Marty, Mom & Mackenzie

     
  • At 11:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tim,
    I am so happy to hear that you are learning to break rocks from the master. I know you will have just as much fun spliting wood when you get home. LOL...And I bet Mon will have some projects around the house that will at least require the swing of a hammer...
    God bless everyone of you. And we will continue to pray for all of you... Mom & Dad

     
  • At 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Trent, Your mother gave me the Blog address so I got to read all the events thus far. Your picture was great. It sounds like you are really busy. My prauers are with you in all your work there .

    Sincerely, Grandpa Benson

    I HOPE THIS IS THE WAY TO CONTACT YOU, hAVE A GOOD DAY

     
  • At 1:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Claire~
    I am happy to hear that you are having a fun time!!! I miss you! Nelson

     
  • At 2:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Jeff, sounds like you're all working hard. I laughed picturing you and Tim and Cole trying to break rocks!!! and then learning from "the master". Thanks for being such great kids (and leaders). We love you all and thank God for each one of you. It's another hot day here and Shell & Tre are at the pool & the other kids are going thru the sprinkler. Thanks for posting,Jeff. We love hearing your comments!!!!!
    Love, Mom,Dad,Shell,Tre&Kelsey

     
  • At 3:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Chris & Tim,
    It's great to hear that people have already made a choice for Jesus. God is sooo awesome!!! Also, we are praying for you NOW, as I write this, for your safety.
    Would love to hear from you.
    Mom and Dad

     
  • At 3:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Mary & Greg,

    I am glad you are both well and that things are going fine. It is great to see the photos and I am looking forward to reading more from the blog as God uses you to minister in Central America.

    Love you both,
    Rick/Dad

     
  • At 3:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tay Tay!!!

    I MISS YOU! I am so glad to hear from you on this blog.. I was afraid you wouldn't ever write a thing, keep them comin my dear! I can't wait for you to get home and we can cook yummy food, you know.. something other than chicken and rice! I loved your post about the comfort zone, isn't that the worst feeling ever? But it's the only time you will ever grow, when you are so uncomfortable that you have to change in order to adapt. I'm praying for you and I am so proud of you for being in "Guat" and being there on your own. I can't wait to hear all about it. Take tons and tons of pictures ok?

    I love you so much!

    -Mackenzie

     
  • At 4:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Taylor,

    Thank you so much for your blog entries. I am thrilled to hear the excitement in your words. Praise God for the opportunity to serve Him in Guatemala!

    So glad that the work on the service project is rewarding and going well. I am sorry to hear your back hurts. I guess we should have packed the heating pad! The pictures of the children are amazing and I can only imagine how much fun you are having in your interactions with them. I am proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone and even eating the food! You are awesome.

    We just heard about the earthquake and trust that God has you and the team safely in His mighty hand. We continue to pray for you. Enjoy this time to experience all that God has in store for you.

    Le falto y le amo mucho!

    Mom

     
  • At 4:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sarah Bancroft...

    I am so happy to hear things are going well in Campur. I SO appreciate all of your efforts to make this trip possible. I know God has mighty things in store for you.

    You are in my prayers.

    Love,

    Jan

     
  • At 5:12 PM , Blogger Alice Ward said...

    Hi, Taylor and all of you on this amazing trip. Hope all is going well. Heard about the earthquake. Hope you are all safe. You are all in my daily prayers. Be safe but have lots of fun, too. I'm sure you'll have many interesting tales to tell when you get back. Love, Miss Alice

     
  • At 9:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Greetings from home to Trent P from Mom. We are glad to know you are using your heads, hands, and hearts to meet the needs of the people of Campur. You all look so official in your scrubs. Remember when you are blogging that many people far and wide will be reading so write well and make your mama proud. Too much bathroom info could be unpleasant to read. Keep up the good work...and I pray for you several times each day. P.S. your tennis party was fun and you are a captain.

     
  • At 10:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OCA Team, we have been worried all day after hearing about the earthquake in Guatamala City today. We pray that all is well there and that you will all be safe. It is so good to know that so many are praying for you. Many may be fearful in the city and may be more open to hearing the wonderful news of the Savior. Share His love and light as you are there. We are praying for you all. Stay safe, stay together and stay focused on Him. We love,miss and are praying for you.
    Sue & Scott Hallstrom

     
  • At 7:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Christina,

    We have not heard from you for a few days; hope all is well. Let us know! Ask Brian if he was signing the autographs as Jack Black. Mom and I are just hanging out tonight and wishing you were here, but we are happy you are doing God's work in San Marcos. I played golf with Sam Cornelius in our company golf outing; he is anxious to have you in the hockey camp. Take care,

    Love, Dad

    Hi Christina, I sure miss you! Nothing is the same without you here. I guess this is just more of that reality preparation for me. In another year you will be off to college. I went to the rink today to check on sam's clinic. Everyone says hi and is waiting your return. Have you seen any destruction caused by the earthquake? Are you feeling o.k.. I heard a few people were sick. Continue doing all of God's incredible work. We love you.

    Love Mom

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home