Operation Central America

Come and see what is happening on the Operation Central America missions trip. Also learn about the teams and their prayer requests.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

June 16-17 - In Their Own Words



OCA Blog for June 16-17, 2006

Well, we’ve made it to Honduras and spent a glorious night in actual beds in a very nice house. My home stay family is a pastor and his wife and four children whose ages range from thirteen to twenty. Today we did a presentation in a park, where, when we got there, there were only a handful of kids. The basketball team went around door to door to gather kids and get them to come watch our show and the mime. At the end of the presentation we had gathered about 80 kids and 20 parents that all heard the Gospel message in mime and in Spanish. We then traveled to a school in a very rural area. It was a very poor school with a pretty beat up basketball court. We’ve all agreed to chip in a bit of our spending money in order to get this school a new basketball court. We put up our speakers and started blaring music. We played and danced around with some of the kids while the basketball team taught a small basketball clinic. We now have two sick members of our team, Annika Johnson and Laura Stadler, who we pray will get better soon as they are spending their days locked in a hotel room. I got to switch home stays in order to fill the void that Laura left, so last night (Friday night) I spent with a new family of a woman and her twenty-seven year old son. I’m getting a little frustrated by my lack of ability to speak or understand much Spanish, so I would ask for prayer for the language barrier of the whole team. Mom & Dad, hope you had fun in Chicago, and if this gets posted before Sakura leaves, tell her goodbye and I hope to e-mail her once I get back. Trav & Diamie, hope you had a blast at the PQs and I can’t wait to see all of you in a week. Luv ya! Hannah


Hey!!!!!!!! Its Laura W here and we’re in Honduras!!! We started our home stays and it absolutely amazing to sleep on beds and have warm showers. Yesterday at the medical clinic it was quite an interesting day… one of the toilets overflowed so we pretty much had poop water all over, on top of all the kids throwing up, haha I’m so surprised we’re not all sick. We got to watch the boys play basketball last night and it was so much fun, they won against a bunch of um really big boys. Tonight we get to eat dinner at wendys and I’ve never been more excited to have a frosty. It has been so amazing to see what god has done on this trip in spite of some minor set backs. I am soooo excited for the rest of this trip, it had been absolutely amazing!! Well gotta get goin so adios amigos!!!! O yeah! Mom and Dad I want you to know that I slept with the cockroaches it was so gross but ya know we got through it. Love all of you!!

-Laura Wollan


Hey Mom and Dad!!! It’s josh patil here! We are in Honduras right now, we came here 2 days ago and we have been having so much fun, and impacting this area so much. Home stays are so cool, I got blessed with a very good family! I am staying with Derek schell and Patrick menefee and where we are staying we have a big pit bull dog which is so much fun to play with. I miss you guys a lot and I cant wait to see you when we get back on Sunday! I hope you guys are having fun in Minnesota!!!


-Josh Patil

Mommy and Daddy!!!! Its Christel! I miss you guys! Mom, your not gonna believe the bugs that were in Guatemala! Ewwey! And by the way, I didn’t write earlier cuz I had no idea you knew how to use the internet!! You didn’t even know what a blog was two weeks ago until I tried to explain it to you! But I heard you were reading it! And no I only bumped my head once…don’t worry! Ive been sweating a ton…whats new… and im getting hairy again… but whats new with that either. We are staying in a homestay right now, me and amy powell, yah…they don’t speak English! It is actually quite funny watching me put my little Spanish knowledge to use! But its fun! AHhh seriously parentals… I just love this! We are working with so many kids everyday and performing and loving and its so great seeing how God is changing me and my attitude everyday. I love all that we are doing here! But I miss you guys more…and mommy sorry I didn’t clean my room before I left, but can you clean it for when I get home? Hehe : ) I want to feel clean and not messy! Thanks mommy…. Well its someone else’s turn to write so I must go… And happy fathers day daddy! I don’t know if ill be able to talk to you tomorrow! I love you both so much!!

-Christel Lee

Hola Hola Minnesnowtans! This be Lindsey Rachel Nicholson… I’ve been meaning to write for a very long time but the first time it didn’t work, but mom and dad you’ll love what I got to do.. myspace.. anyways campur was way different than I expected. There were people living on top of people with trash everywhere. I have to go RIGHT now my bus is leaving but Ill come back later and the campur people were really beautiful and loving even though they didn’t have a lot.. it really made me thankful so ill be back but for now tata

Love, Lindsey


WAZzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuppppp…..Minnesizemores!!!!

I’m so warm/hot/on fire but these intense days of work are riveting to the soul and the body…..showering feels soooo good. We had the basketball game of the century yesterday night. It was a night game and the lights turned on in the second quarter, Wooddale down 3-15, it started out in the first with them basically wasting us and then we had the open shots but no one could sink them. The second quarter looked better sinking at least 186788939% more of our shots and D1 Rask got fouled any time he was under the basket so he had plenty of foul shots. We then took 24-23 halftime the mime did their thang and it was the best performance that I’ve seen all year. Just a shout out to john Hann the sweetest Jesus around and the fantastic and ever spastic satan Scott.
I forgot to mention that these guys were over 20 and after the mime everyone on the opposing team rose their hand to accept Jesus. That’s already a victory but we needed to finish off the game anyhow. We started the second half and they had their bench team in and their stars out so we got some quality points. Hey it’s Dave talking now, and I just wanted to add to what petey said about the game last night. It was awesome to be able to play some tough competition after we had played our first two games against people that hadn’t seen a basketball before and were in the 5th grade. The other team had some really good players including a twenty six year old that has played his whole life on different teams for Hondurus. We started off really slow, but came together in an amazing way and were able to put a few big scoring runs on them and finish the game strong with a victory. Like Pete mentioned before, that wasn’t the best part of the night. There were a lot of the locals at the game and at halftime the mime team put on an amazing performance that led to every player and most of the townpeople to accepting Jesus as their savior. I forgot that we were playing basketball for those 15 minutes, as God did an amazing thing that not only changed the lives of those players and people, but inspired our team as well. This place is amazing, Pete and I are getting to know the family we are staying with and these last three days were some of the best days of my life. I really don’t want to leave this city, the people are incredible. Well I should get going now, the cement mixer is calling my name! Miss all you guys at home, I’d like to make a shout out to my family, happy father’s day from the guys and I’m sure everyone else, and J keep it real, peace.
Hey paps this is pete I’m havin a great time and keeping safe (Eric I went in huge caves and I’m about to use a machete to cut things.) and I would like to wish u a happy fathers DAY and I hope your present is a great surprise!!! Goodbye!! C u soooooon!!!

PS- Sean says *MUAH!! To Bethann back home!!
Peace outside PETE DAVE SEAN>

Hey Mom and Dad this is Ryan
This trip has been so amazing thus far. We are now in Siguatepeque Honduras. Yesterday the basketball team and the childrens team walked through neighborhoods to gather kids for the puppet show and the mime show. Their were about fifty children that came to the park and it looked like all of them raised their hands to accept Christ. Happy fathers day Dad. I want to say hi to Mom, Dad, Natalie, Emily, Matthew, Eric, Reanna Chris, Megan, Michelle, Chris R., Emma, Austin, and Ella. Please write back.
Love Ryan Flynn

It’s suki- thanks to all the parents that are reading and praying for us. Happy fathers day to all dad’s (especially those in 50548 and to the one with little Alyssa and caleb) love you all. These kids are doing absolutely fabulous- wonderful attitudes, great love for the kids and this community- we are so so proud of them. They are helping in so many ways. I can’t wait for you all to give them big hugs at the airport next week. Parents please leave comments if you can- we are forwarding your messages on to the kids and they are very encouraged by them. Peace out- til next time. suki

14 Comments:

  • At 12:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi to all. It was great to see a message from you Lins. Hope you are all feeling well. After reading lauras message you must have run out of purell with the plumbing problem. That makes for a difficult day at the office huh?
    It is so wonderful to read of everyones experiences. God is providing so many opportunities for growth. spirits appear high. Andy and Matt you two are sooo funny. I love hearing the day to day things that are impacting each person. Hey Lins when you write next let us know more about the medical team and what you all have been doing. Keep being open, positive and continue to make a difference in all those you encounter. We love you,
    mom and dad

     
  • At 2:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Jill,Annika and the rest of the medical team. We haven't heard much from you all but trusting that God is working in and through your team in powerful ways also. We are so proud of all your doing and experiencing (I think it brings tears to most of us parents). Annika, we will be praying you recover quickly and for the rest of you to stay healthy. We love you all, Tebbe's & Johnson's.

     
  • At 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Reading your comments and knowing what everyone is doing is so exciting and inspiring.The team is awesome!! You are doing such wonderful things.We continue to pray for your health,safety,energy and unity.Does anyone know if the cockroaches hauled Nolan off somewhere?Building and raising money for that new B Ball court is remarkable .Nolan-how are you doing?Take care and write if you can.

     
  • At 4:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey to Nolan and the rest of the basketball team... It was amazing for me to hear about how you're helping refinish the basketball court- it sounds like it was in pretty bad shape! It's also amazing how you can teach others about God while playing a game of basketball. I'll keep praying for you, keep up the good work, and know that you're making a difference. You guys are AmAzInG!! <3 Lauren

     
  • At 6:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You guys sound like your having a blast! It's good that you guys aren't getting tooo sick. I can't wait to go next year. Bring some kids home for me! Have fun!
    Love, Chelsey

     
  • At 6:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for the descriptive updates. It helps invision the work and pray accordingly. Keep up the courageous work. Take care of yourselves, so you can finish strong, for it is to His glory.

    Mark, Trav and D

     
  • At 7:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    To the soccer fans - USA 1..Italy 1 in today's game. To the backbone of this trip - the leaders - you are not forgotten in our thoughts and prayers. Finally - to Steph, let's get this taken care of before you ask...yes you may bring home one of the kids but please feel free to leave behind the shoes that you stood in the poop water and throw-up (-:

    Love the stories and can see God's love in all you do. Enjoy your R&R day tomorrow - you all have definitely earned it!

    Vicki

     
  • At 9:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am sitting in a hotel lobby in Cedar Rapids, Iowa with the ability to know what went on today in Central America. Thanks for your stories as it is a constant reminder of the way that God works...everywhere! Tomorrow is Dad's Day so make sure that those dad's that our with you get an extra hug today. (i.e. Brian S.!!) I have been in constant prayer for all the teams. Julie Hunt

     
  • At 1:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow it sounds like your experiences have been amazing. From what I've read it seems that you all have touched so many people's lives. I'm praying for you guys! =) Have fun with your R&R time!

    -Carleighhh

     
  • At 11:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Blessings to all of you as you continue to lay down your life for others. I just wept when I read the things God is doing in your hearts. I pray the changes He is making in you will make lifelong impact.
    Some of you are going to walk away from this experience with a heart for missions that you never dreamed you'd have-and even sence a Call to missions. This trip will only be the beginning. Listen for the voice of the Lord!
    Annika, I am standing with you. I pray for a quick recovery so that you can continue to serve as you so desire to do. Smile, girl, the devil's ticked. :) You're making an impact! I love you! Brian, Grace, Lydia, Eliana send their love and prayers.

     
  • At 10:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Ryan,
    Its Natalie, I have missed you! Heard you on the hotline sounds like your having a lot of fun. I hope your staying healthy and well:) Matthew and I went golfing at Eagle Lakes pitch and putt we are going to have to go when you get back you will love it.

    Hope you have a AMAZING day! Love
    Natalie



    Hey Ryan

    Hows it goin i hope your having a good time in Central America. Im sure its very warm. I hope the bugs arent getting ya. Im sure it has been a very fun and rewarding experince. were all excited to hear your storys.

    Talk to you later

    Chad

     
  • At 10:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi! i just remembered that this blog existed after sue called me...thanks sue! you guys all sound like you are having a blast, not to mention changing lives left and right! i was truly inspired when i read the stories about what God has done in your lives and the lives of all of those around you! linds and laura...keep it real, i miss you guys so much! keep up the fabulous work! i looooove you!

     
  • At 12:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Ryan and everyone. Loved hearing from you on the hotline, Ryan, and it's been great to read your messages. I'm so glad that you have already had the opportunity to give your testimony.It is fantastic that there are so many different kinds of opportunities for everyone on the team to serve the people and share the love of God. I was so blessed to hear that money was given for the basketball court. Hope that Annika and Lindsey have recovered.

    Hi Ryan, thanks for the fathers day
    greeting, it sounds like everyone
    is using this time to grow in the Lord. There is no greater joy for a
    parent than to see childern walk in Gods ways.Praying daily for you and the team. Love Mom & Dad

     
  • At 2:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ryan Flynn,
    Monkey.. MONKEYYYYYY Where are you.....?

    Lets just say you wanted a new five iron would you want a Wilson, similar to your set or a Callaway?

    Man I got some bad road rash doing some extreme mountain biking. Matthew

    Me and Emily were chillin at Bryant Lake today. We should play some water volleyball when you get back, Matthews road rash should be healed by then. Natalie,

    Just been working and going to school sorry my life is not that exciting to tell you about, but Iv been missing you can't wait to see you. saw your pic's on-line looks like fun! peace Emily,

    ...Let's FIGHT! Emily,Natalie,and Matthew Flynn

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home