Operation Central America

Come and see what is happening on the Operation Central America missions trip. Also learn about the teams and their prayer requests.

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Guatemala City

Buenos Dias! I’m writing here after finishing a morning of ministry in the poorer streets of Guatemala City. Just thought I’d let you all know that after two days of painstaking sickness, I am finally up to par again!! No worries, my illness didn’t prevent us from serving, I was somehow able to perform three times as my stomach stopped churning the instant I stepped onstage. I appreciate everything so much more now after having had it taken away for a while. After traveling yesterday we arrived in Guat City and went to homestays, but 3 of our families were in the bowling alley so 6 of us traveled to meet them. We ended up staying there until midnight after playing several rounds of bowling with our Guatemalan families and break dancing lessons. I apparently am worthy of the nickname “bowler” mostly because I beat Andy so badly. It was fun, and I won a prize from our friend Primo. I’m really really exhausted since we got minimal sleep, but it was an adventure that was worth the sleep loss. Since I have very limited down time here, I must go eat my hot dog (with 15 odd Guatemalan toppings) and then get back to practicing mime. Thanks for the letters mom & dad, and Catherine your note in Spanish made me laugh when I was sick!! I’ll get that postcard to you when I get a chance to shop. We’re constantly moving and ever busy, but it’s a blast!! Sr. Diaz is my hero since I don’t need a translator very often, and I’ve decided that despite the sickness, I’m moving down here! Hasta lavista! Love you all,
~elizabeth

Hi family and friends! I’m now in Guatemala City and it is so nice here. Wish I was home. I miss you all very much! We all are staying in home stays which is really nice. The hostess name is Daisy and she’s really sweet. She’s says she speaks little English but I think she speaks it very well. I’m rooming with Krista and Sophie. We decided to take a shower together in our bathing suits. The water was warm and it felt so good!!! Since my roommates are afraid of bugs I ended up killing a spider. Then we saw a cockroach, it was monstrous. I tried to kill it but it wouldn’t die!! Daisy ended up killing it. I slept well and we had pancakes this morning. We got to spend time with the children’s team (us mimes that is). We got to play with the kids with those big parachute things with balls and also blew bubbles. We performed once again. I’m having a great time and making new friends. I love you all! Mucho!!!
-Andreya-

Hey Everyone!
We are now in Guatemala City and began our home stays last night. I’m staying with the Calvo family which has five people. I’m there with Amanda Montouri. Last night when we left we got a flat tire so we had to call Brian and some of the other guys to come to the gas station we were at to fix it. When we got the tire fixed we began to drive towards their home, but then the car stopped in the middle of the road and it wouldn’t start for a while…when the car finally started we ran into a hug traffic jam that ended up being caused by a crime scene in the middle of the road. When we finally got to the home Amanda and I were very relieved. I can somewhat communicate with the family, but Amanda can’t. It was really interesting to be able to talk to the family this morning at breakfast. They know minimal English, just like I know minimal Spanish so it actually worked out pretty well. It was strange to hear that Cobán, the place we just left, was cold in their mind. Today for ministry we went to the same place as the medical and children’s team and it was really fun! The kids were really cute, but it was so hot out when we were doing the mime! Well, I’ve gotta go practice some more of the mime right now…Love You!
Christina
P.S. Happy Fathers Day!

Whats going on Minnesota?!
Well we arrived in guatemala city safe and sound. Me and andy scheimo are staying with a guy named mabolo, and he makes cookies for a living… and we went bowling into the wee hours of the night, and I sucked terribly. Mabolos a little quiet, and his brother is obsessed with this Australian band, and showed me some of their stuff and they are pretty good. Well…that’s all for now. Bye!
-Cole

Hey everyone- It’s sarah from the service team. We got to Guatemala city last night and got to our homestay. I’m with taylor, Adrienne and andrea. Our host family is very sweet and speaks very good English. They offered to take us to Shrek 3 tonight so that will be fun. This morning the service team worked to clean up a park about 1 block from the church. We machetted trees- the boys couldn’t have been happier. Don’t worry- they were supervised. Then this afternoon a few of the kids worked on repairing the roof of the church. At the park we moved old branches and leaves and then made some cement to fix an amplitheater area. The park is used by the churchs children’s ministry for Sunday school so now they have a nice clean area to sit. All kids are doing wonderful. It is weird to think that today is almost the halfway mark. Thanks for all your prayers and support- see you next week!!

It’s been a good morning here in Guatemala City. Our service team worked on the roof of the church and on putting concrete in at a local park. The medical, childrens and mime teams all traveled together to a ministry for children who are on the brink of living on the streets. Many of the children that we spent time with are abused by their parents or come from homes where the parents are addicted to drugs. It was sobering to see them. When the mime team was performing a man started shouting that we were “Satan” and that “Guatemala is free – go away!” William, our evangelist, and I went to talk to the man and he immediately left. Then when the part of the mime comes where Jesus is hanging on the cross, a little boy walked onto the set and started mocking the mime by pretending to be Jesus on the cross. He quickly left. Needless to say, we felt the spiritual warfare. God was so good though. When William was giving the invitation, the entire mime team prayed and many people made professions of faith in Jesus Christ. Please remember to pray for these churches as they follow-up on those people who make decisions for Christ. This afternoon has been spent in the medical clinic for the medical team and Lindsay, Allie and Greg from Children’s team, and then for the rest of us at the church hanging out with the youth of the church. Praise God for what he is doing!

In Him,
Brian
p.s. Happy Father’s Day, Dads!

11 Comments:

  • At 10:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hola Kelly Marie!
    Hope all is well with you...you are always in our thoughts & prayers. How is the tan coming along? Are you able to blend in with the locals yet? Dad is in Canada pestering the fish..instead of Steph. Can't wait to see your pictures (I hope you are taking some) and hear about your adventures.
    To the leaders - I continue to pray for your strength and patience (I have trouble with just two teenagers sometimes!).
    To the teams - There is no doubt that God is working through you. You are all amazing!

    Love - Mom (Snyder)

     
  • At 11:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Jeff,
    It's been awhile since we've heard from you.We miss hearing what's been happening.Are you staying well? We've been praying!!! We love you so much and miss you.

    Love, Mom

     
  • At 12:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Brian

    As you described the attempted disruptions at the mime presentation, it is clear that you are fighting the forces of evil and are doing it right. It speaks well of your team that they stood in prayer as the invitation was given. The spirit that you evince through your leadership is heartening and appreciated. We will redouble our prayers for you, the teams, and the people with whom you are having contact. Thank you for being an instrument used by God to not only help the people of Guatemala, but to teach our children by example and action the meaning of service, the realness of the demonic, and the power of the human spirit through God who strengthen and guides us.

    Elizabeth - we thought that you must have been ill, and we are thankful that you are coming back to full strength. BTW, it was a very pleasant surprise to get the email from you a few minutes ago, even if it was only two words.

    We continue to pray for you.

    Love,

    Dad and Mom

     
  • At 12:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Kelly you need to write more! Entertain me! haha Love you!

     
  • At 1:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Peter -
    It's mom here! Just got the last things ready for Sunday. Please wish Brian, Tim, Terry, Chris, and Dr. Dehnel a Happy Father's Day from us!! (Hopefully I didn't miss someone) The Chicago group is going to the 9 a.m. church service, then the 10:15 senior high hour before they leave at noon. Then Dad and I will pick up Grandpa Ray and head to Grandpa Ken's for the afternoon. It is a small group this year. And with Amy, Kristen and you away I think the men will spend more time fishing than water sports this year. Don't worry about missing the photo opp. of lifting Mark, I am NOT going to try to pick him up without you two this year!!! I helped Amy this afternoon work at the Star Tribune. She did a LOT of papers!! She was "in charge" since Connie is away and she did a good job. She had trouble falling asleep tonight -- I think she is excited and maybe nervous about her trip? Well, not much else happening around here. We are gathering around the computer reading the updates regularly and calling in to the hotline too. Wondering if you have been able to remember and use any of your Spanish? And how about your drumsticks? Any chance to entertain with them yet? So glad you are having this great experience!! Lots of love sweetie -- Love, Mom (and Dad too!)

     
  • At 2:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey all, glad to hear you guys are all doing well. It's been fun seeing the pictures and hearing about your travels.

    Hearing about William's salvation message reminded me of last year. William supervised the first homestay I was in, and every morning at breakfast he and Andrew Loo would mumble slurred spanish back and forth. I was lucky to understand a single word.

    The only time I got to witness William giving the salvation message, however, I understood every word he spoke. No doubt he speaks clearer in public, but I was comprehending vocabulary I had never learned before. It was quite an experience. In that moment, I realized the breadth of the spiritual forces that were at work.

    Do not be discouraged by illness or other setbacks. When we are weak, God is strong. Doubtless he is with you constantly in every effort of ministry.

    Praying for you guys!
    Matt

     
  • At 8:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey K-rizzle, T-Palms, and Andy-home-slice(sry, didn't know another ghetto thing, hahah)
    So I've been working on by moves by watching hip hop dance competions when I'm not working. I've been working 10 hour days, 11 whit comute. It sucks. But don't worry krista, they haven't moved yet so that's why they need me so early:) They'll move by the end of this week. Yeah..I leave for Costa in 6 days. But it'll be ok cause I got evan, jk...but still he's the only person I know. ummmmm...the weather is HOT it's been 90 the past 5-6 days in the cities. Nothin is really goin on in the hood... Just ash-dawg freakin out cause she has a lot of things to do b4 she leaves. Oh yeah, I'm teaching myself spanish...basically that's it.
    Love, peace, and apathy
    Ash-dawg

    gauy: work on having your manthighs not as fluorescent:)

     
  • At 8:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    oops my bad *guys*
    ash

     
  • At 9:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Amanda~we are getting kind of worried that you died or something because you havent written us any blog messages or done any phone messages!We hope that you and you team are well and are helping as many people as possable. I hope you are reading our letters-we love and miss you sooooooooooooooo
    much!
    ~Stina and Louie

     
  • At 11:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Elizabeth! Glad to hear you're feeling better. Mi espanol es horrible so I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to have to speak it all the time. Hope your breakdancing is better than mine was.
    Madeline

     
  • At 11:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Andreya,

    Glad to hear all is going well and that you are having a lot of fun. Mom and I just got home from visiting Jenni in Colorado. We had a great time. Too much driving for one week.
    Now that you're killing spiders and cockroaches, you can take care of the silver fish at home. It's been pretty quite around the house since you've been gone. We hope you're taking some goos pictures with your camera. Keep us posted on your activities this week. Mom and I are praying for you, that you stay healthy, have a meaningful trip, that God would work in your heart,and that you come home safely. Have you learned your new mimes? The pictures of all you guys are neat. Hopefully there will be more. Take care.
    Love You.
    Mom and Dad

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home