Operation Central America

Come and see what is happening on the Operation Central America missions trip. Also learn about the teams and their prayer requests.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Campur Day 1




Tuesday, June 10, 2008

As many of you know' one of our students- David Juel was not able to make it on the trip due to a serious car accident in April. He is in our thoughts and prayers. The medical team has made a David on a stick so we can still have him included. Enjoy the pictures and pray for David´s recovery.

We have made it to Campur. Last night we got here and had groups of kids welcoming us. We had dinner of chicken, papas fritas and pineapple. We had church service and went to bed by 10 pm.

Hello Family-
We are here in Campur and it is great. Things have changed since the last time I was here but it still feels like I am back in a familiar place. I have seen children I remember from 3 years ago. I am excited to get started on our first ministry day. The students are eager to get started too. As a write this, I hear the girls screaming from the dorm – Sal, the salamander who lives in our sink must be running around. “Scream, bang bang, scream…laughing”. This is why this place is so great. New experiences huh? I guarantee you Sal’s more scared than they are!
I miss you all and hope all is well back home. Thank you for your prayers!
Lori Ask


Hi Mom, Dad, and Dani-
Today is our first full day in Campur. We are doing our first service day today. We are going to be eating breakfast soon and then we are going to set up our medical clinic. I am excited to see how the medical clinic goes today and see what God does through our service today. I am having a great time here meeting the people of Guatemala. It is awesome! I will see you when I get home- and Charlie too!
-Derek Brooks


Hello Family!
I am having a great time. We got to Campur yesterday about 4. We left at about 8 am so it was a pretty long ride. The chicken bus we rode was almost wider than the road in some areas. When we got here, Sarah B. gave us a tour of the town. It was cool to see all of the children that came to follow us while we went on our walk. We got back and talked with their children for about two hours. It was great to actually use the Spanish I learned for a good use. Then we ate dinner and it was awesome. The chicken was great and the pineapple was juicy. We slept in an unbuilt orphanage last night with 2 inch mattresses with holes in them. It actually wasn’t that bad. Right now we are about to eat breakfast then head off to our separate teams to work. Our childrens team is going to 4 schools today so that should be fun. I miss you all and see you soon!
John Cramer

Hola Papa, Moma, y hermana (Lauren),
The trip is going great. I have had so much fun traveling and riding the chicken bus. We arrived in Campur last night and immediately started playing with the children. We played tag and kick the bottle and pass with a basketball. How fun and cute they are! I am so excited to work with the children as we share the message of Jesus and participate in various activities. This trip will change everyone and help open our eyes to the world. I can’t wait!!
-Jared Falkanger

Hey Mom, Dad, Haley and family,
The trip is going really well! Mom- I got the stuffed animal you packed for me and the candy and the book… thanks. Jess says hi. We’re having a lot of fun. Yesterday, we drove 8 hours and arrived at Campur at like 4 or something. I rode the chicken bus the whole way and didn’t get sick : ). We had a really great dinner the first night (better than ever- remember salsa goes really well with steak) and the second night wasn’t quite as good but still delicious. We hung out and played with the kids a lot last night and they laughed a lot while I fell playing tag…Today we are splitting up into our separate teams. It should be really fun. I’ll write to you soon : ) I love you all and miss you…but not enough to come home…sorry.
Sarah Wasley

Hey Mom, Dad, Jess, and family,
The trip has been amazing so far! We arrived in Guatemala City safely at about 9:30 pm on Sunday night and stayed at a hotel for the night…there was towels shaped like doves on our beds! The food is really good, I really like the plantains. Yesterday we rode on the chicken bus to Campur. At one point during our ride to Campur, we drove through clouds! It was amazing! Once we got to Campur, we played with the kids. We played tag, pato pato ganzo (duck duck grey duck), kick the can, and basketball. I was heading the ball to one of the kids then he tried to head it back to me, but instead he headed it to my crotch…it was kind of awkward but everyone laughed. The kids are so cute! It’s unfortunate that I don’t know much Spanish…I only know 4 phrases so I keep asking them the same four phrases. Oh, also I’ve had to do the puppet show! It was a little bit longer then the one I did at the send-off service. Today we’re splitting up into our teams, so that should be fun! I’ll keep you updated! I’ll write again soon! I love you guys! I’ll see you soon!
Liz Rendahl

Hey Lee Anne, Mark, Peter, and family!
I am doing good! It is really cool to see all the different things. Yesterday we walked by the house that the service team made yesterday at the bottom of a really steep hill. We also saw the building that Peter got his stitches in. I haven’t seen any bugs other than flies so that is good. We hung out with the kids and played games. They are soooo cute. I am working on my Spanish but I really wish I knew more. Hope you are doing well. I will try to write later. It still hasn’t hit me that I wont be able to talk to you guys for two weeks. Love you!!!!
Amy Anderson

Hello Mom, Marty, Dad, Julia, Mackenzie and the OT,
We finally arrived in Campur! The bus ride wasn’t bad. The little kids here remember us and some even remember our names. They are soo cute. The orphanage is finished and it is absolutely beautiful. We also visited the house we built last year it is huge. We didn’t get to talk to the family that lived there, but it was still nice. It is nice to be back here it’s just like I remember. There have been some new improvements but it is mostly just the same. I am missing all of you very much! OT tell Rona I say I miss her and all of your family too. Also OT you made my day with what you wrote! I can’t wait to hear from you again! Hope all is well with you guys at home I’m off to probably build some houses!

Love, Taylor

Hello Mom and Dad,
The flight went very well and we spent the night in Guatemala City in a very nice hotel before traveling to Campur. It was a very long drive, but the Dramamine knocked me out and I was able to catch up on sleep. The area around Campur is beautiful, and the people are very nice.

Love Taylor VC

23 Comments:

  • At 3:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Taylor,

    I am SO happy to hear things are going well in Campur and the children remembered the team from Wooddale. Have you seen Eva yet?

    The orphanage sounds wonderful and I am glad you visited the home from last year. Moving the bricks for that house was an experience you will never forget. The life of entire family was changed by people showing the love of Jesus. What a blessing it is to serve Him. I pray you will have opportunities to share His love with many others you will come in contact with this week.

    Now for the Mom stuff...are you feeling okay? Eating well and drinking enough water? (You can roll your eyes now!)

    I love you, tons and am praying for you.

    Mom

     
  • At 3:27 PM , Blogger Caitlin said...

    Elizabeth,

    I made it to California okay, but I'm so tired today. You wouldn't know what that feel like, would you? But it's good to be here. Birkie was fantastic on the drive, and I took her for a walk by the ocean today and tried to show her the seals, but she wasn't interested.

    I hope that everything is going smoothly for you. I can't wait to read about all the awesome work you're doing. But won't you be sad to be coming home without a white mime makeup tan this year? Maybe someone can let you borrow their makeup . . .

    I talked to Mom briefly this morning, and she said it was pretty quiet around the house, but that things are going just fine.

    Have lots of fun, be safe, reach out. I love you and I'm proud of you, little sister.

    Love,
    Cate

     
  • At 4:08 PM , Blogger tom said...

    Derek,

    We all miss you A LOT. Dani doesn't know what to do with out her big brother disrupting a perfectly quiet evening. Actually we all miss what you bring to our family but we know that you are doing much greater things than entertaining us. God will honor your faithfulness to Him. We love you. Can't wait to hear from you when you get back!

    Dad

     
  • At 4:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Taylor-
    I am glad that what i said made you happy! I have to babysit savy without you tonight, she has already asked about you. It wont be the same without you, i guess that i will just have to watch scrubs by myself after she goes to bed. I MISS YOU!
    -OT

     
  • At 4:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lori,

    I wanted to thank you for the effort you put into the OCA Devotional. It is outstanding! Marty and I have found the lessons challenging and are enjoying it very much.

    Our prayers are with you!

    Jan

     
  • At 4:55 PM , Blogger Lani33 said...

    Hey OCA group: OLA' and Congratulations for making the long trek safely!
    Special hello to the basketball team! Did you guys make it??

    The pictures are great to view.

    Are all your snacks gone yet?
    We are so proud of your courage and desire to serve the Lord and help others first on your summer vacation from high school.

    The EP Track & Field Banquet was held last evening and ALL the EP Guatemala team members were mentioned and were missed. Coach Kivimaki spoke highly of the dedication of the basketball team to BOTH EP Track & Field and mission work in Guatemala!

    Hey Josh H., please blog us with your experiences when you get a free minute! We'd love to hear from you too.
    May God bless and watch over all the group for good health & good experiences.
    In Him,
    Jan & Mark Hendricks

     
  • At 5:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Kelsey:
    Glad to hear you all made it safe. It sounds like you guys are having a great time so far. We miss you very much and are praying for you all!!!
    Lots of love,
    Mom, Dad & Brittany
    (Blaze & Bailey too)

     
  • At 8:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Sarah and Amanda,
    I'm glad to hear you guys are doing well. I'm so excited for you!! I look forward to hearing all of your embarrassing stories. Sarah, I can just see you falling while playing tag lol you would. I miss you!! Like you don't even know haha. I have so much to tell you. We're def gonna need to hang when you get home. Who am I going to get advice from? :'( Hope you have an amazing time. Let me know if you have any specific prayer requests. Love ya,
    Ashley

     
  • At 8:38 PM , Blogger News team assemble said...

    Guten tag Sam!
    We're so glad to hear that you all made it Guatemala safely. How was the 8 hour ride to Campur on the chicken bus? Was it everything you dreamed it would be? How is the miming going? Have you tripped lately? ROTFLOL! Maggie is missing you. We gave her your room. Remember to take your cipro when you get the you-know-whats. Make good choices and be safe. God has great things in store for you and the OCA team! We're praying for you.

    Love,
    Dad, Mom, David, Maggie, & Mack

    p.s. David wanted to write a long note to you but didn't because, "Time is love".

     
  • At 9:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sarah W.

    It is so great to hear that you are in Campur and having a good time! I can't wait to hear all your stories and see the pictures. I love the pictures with David on a stick.

    The open house went really well today!!! Your room has never looked better(you have your aunt Heidi to thank for that).

    Haley and I miss you. Haley is pouting. She goes back and forth between yours and Amanda's beds to sleep on at night. Apparently she is not quite sure how to sleep on your floor with out all the clothes.

    I look forward to hearing more from you!! Lots of love and don't forget your prayers. Love Mom

     
  • At 9:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Amanda W.,

    Love the picture of you with David on a stick. I hope you are having a good time. Have you performed your show yet in Campur?

    The open house went really well today!! Your room has never been so clean (you have aunt Heidi to thank for this). Haley and I miss you and I can't wait to hear some of the things that you have done. I know that God is going to do great things through all of you!

    I love you lots and I hope to hear from you soon. Don't forget your prayers. Love Mom

    P.S. Tell Jess that Shelby thinks she has found a family for her to Nanny for when she gets back.

     
  • At 9:14 PM , Blogger Brian said...

    Sounds like you are off to a great start, everyone! I'm proud of you for serving God like you are. Can't wait to hear about what happens as you minister. That steak with salsa sounds great!

     
  • At 9:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Chels,
    We are thinking of you a ton! The week is going to go by fast, but if you get a minute let us know how things are going.

    It is very quiet here with both you and Seth gone; especially after all the activity of the weeks before!

    I will call Mad tomorrow about picking you up at the airport and give this blog for Katie too! I thought they might like keeping up with you.

    We miss you alot, but know you are right where you and God(smile) want you to be... Enjoy every minute!

    Love, Mom & Dad
    PS How is your stomach?

     
  • At 9:51 PM , Blogger Gail I. said...

    Hey, Nik,

    I hope all is going well with you as I haven't seen a post from you (hint, hint).

    Josh and Dani both interviewed for jobs today. Dani was hired and goes to orientation tomorrow. Josh should get a call concerning his job.

    I hope today was really fun for you with the kids. I am sure you were a wonderful blessing to them with your beautiful smile and warm heart! I'm so proud of you for taking on this challenge.

    Have a great day tomorrow!

    Love Mom

     
  • At 10:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Brittney,

    I thought this was cute. You told Jasmine that she could use your cell phone. She brought it with her on Sunday when we went to church and she can't use it because she needs your password in order to use it. Jasmine has been sleeping downstairs since you both left. She doesn't want to be upstairs by herself at night. I hope all is well.

    I feel kind of bad my cold is starting to go away and Jasmine has the cold now. I didn't mean to pass it to her.

    I wish I could see how the people are reacting to the mime team. I can imagine that God is truly being magnified through the performances.

    God Bless and take care

    Love Mom

     
  • At 10:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tony,

    It was delightful to see the blogs from the othes about playing with the children. I also read that you were going to school with the children's team. I'm sure that the children there are being truly blessed. I think it's wonderful how God is using each team to touch different people. He is so awesome.

    I love you and hope your having a wonderful time.

    Love Yvonne

     
  • At 11:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Hannah,
    It's me again just wanting to let you know that I'm praying for you. Which team are you on again? What have you been doing? Are you eating? Don't be picky..try everything. Let me hear from you.
    Love you lots,
    Aunt Terri

     
  • At 7:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Elizabeth - Glad to hear the trip is going well. I am praying that the medical team inspires many people to come to Christ. We are praying for you and the team.
    Love,
    Sheryl and Gary

     
  • At 7:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sarah B!
    Our prayers continue for you and the group. We know you are enjoying being with such dedicated young people. Keep eating that chix! Hopefully you are high and dry - more rain expected in the next 2 days. LU hon M (& D)

     
  • At 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nannah,
    We hope you're having a fabulous time! We look forward to hearing about all your experiences. Are you taking pictures? How's the language barrier? It will be interesting to hear who and what God puts in your path. Glad to hear you all made it there safely. Hi to all the friends!
    Mom, Dad and Mo

     
  • At 7:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Johnny Cramer!

    It was so fun to read your post! It sounds like you are adjusting just fine! I hope you enjoy every minute that you are there, I bet it has been a little tiring to go to 4 schools in one day. That's unbelievable!

    I wish you the very best while you are there Johnny and I cannot wait to hear all your stories! I know that God is working in your heart daily and it is so exciting!

    I love you so much! Rachie

    ps See why I love Spanish so much?
    pps It is really weird to have you gone... I dont like it at all.

     
  • At 4:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey christina, cole, and saude!
    i hope you guys are having a great time make sure to take lots of pictures and dont forget anything so i can hear all about it. I cant wait to see you guys soon ill get back around the same time as you. love you guys:)

    love,
    amanda

     
  • At 11:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Kelsey,

    Glad to hear you're having a great time. It sounds like taking a shower in the rain was a little more fun then using buckets of cold water. See you soon!

    Love,

    Uncle Ken (the GREATEST Uncle!)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home