Operation Central America

Come and see what is happening on the Operation Central America missions trip. Also learn about the teams and their prayer requests.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Feliz Dia de los Padres!

Happy father's day to everyone back home.  We had a great day of service in San Marcos and the surrounding communities.  It was overcast all day, but we just had light passing mists every once in a while so it did not impact any of the teams.  We have a few kids and leaders feeling the effects of the transition from the hot coastal plains to the cool, thin air of the mountains.  San Marcos is at about 8000 feet so the altitude is definitely a factor.  Our nurses are keeping on top of everyone's condition.  We have as a team been much healthier than other years, so we are confident those feeling a little sick will be back on their feet in a day or so.  One last full day of service tomorrow and then we are off to Solola.  Tonight we have a youth worship service with the youth from several churches in the area.  Lots of music, a message from Mark, and Pastor Neri's children will perform a mime (and hopefully some Christian rap!).

Our word for today is Micah 6:8 where "good" is defined as t "act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."  For the team it is another good reminder that to  be a Christian is to accept a life of service, and that it is more about your attitude in serving that whatever it is you are doing.


The pictures at the end are of our service team.  They built a roof over a woman's porch/patio in Malacatan (they even stayed back a half day in order to finish it).  The church there needed the space for a women's group to meet.  The family was very moved to see it painted a cheery yellow and have the good solid roof.  If our team had not finished it there is a good chance it would be waiting for us to finish it next year.


Here are some posts for the kids for their fathers and families on Father's day....
 
Hi everyone! This is Christy Altman! The trip has been amazing so far and the medical team is
so fun.  We have seen over 900 patients so far and it's amazing to see our team spreading the love of Jesus while being able to heal them. Right now we are in San Marcos and it's very cold here but it feels amazing! The things that we have seen here so far have made me so thankful for what I have. This trip has truly been life changing so far and I can't wait to see what will happen in our last week here! I hope everything is going well in Minnesota!
P.s. happy father's day, dad! love you!!! Adios!

Hello Everyone!This is Sydney DeJongh. We have had an great time so farin Guatemala sharing the love of Christ! The service team has had a lot of fun and has gotten a lot done. We have put up some sheetrock, painted a lot, and done a lot of heavy lifting. The homestays are amazing! It is so cool to get to know the people and its also funny trying to figure out what everyone is saying with the language barrier. We have been blessed with health and safety in travel so far and continue to keep our good attitudes in sharing the word. Hope all is well in Minnesota and we'll see you all soon!

Hello everyone! this is maddie ask. I am having so much fun in Guatemala!I Really like my team, we have been working really hard, but laughing harder! I am learning more and more spanish everyday. I do however miss my family and friends! I love and miss you mom, dad, anna, josh, and lori, and bennett! and sometimes ben...jk! oh and I love miss you too mari! hope everythingis well in Minnesota! Adios!

Hello everyone! This is Elle Grady. We are currently in Malacatan which is quite a bit hotter than Guatemala City. Mostly humid and a little rainy. Today the service team bought materials and planned to start building a roof on the house of a family nearby. While we waited for the roof materials to arrive, we painted the house a new bright color that the family was very thankful for. After we were done, some of the neighborhood kids asked us to play soccer and were so excited to play with us. It was awesome to see how they connected and tried to communicate with kids they didn't even know. I'm excited to see what God has in store for the next couple cities!

Hi!! This is Emily Striker! I have been so excited to share on the blog about all of the amazing things that have happened so far! The med team has already seen and given medicine to over 900 people! It has been so eye opening to see how the people live everyday down here. It has really hit me how blessed we truly are just to even have good health. It has been so life-changing so far and I am so excited to have even more incredible experiences!! I miss everyone so much! See you in 6 days Minnesota! Adios!

JOE RODGERS: What is cracking homies? Thought id swithch it up a bit... It's Joe Arnold Rodgers (a.k.a. Jose). This mission trip has been so amazing and a great way to start summer. Talk about escaping the drama in Edina. (LOL) On a serious note this trip has been such a great opportunity not only to use many of my gifts from God but also to explore and strengthen my faith. God has been working on me, inside and out. Especially last night. I went from a very nice clean english speaking home to Malacatan. On our way here I prayed that God would let me experience true lifestyles of the majority of the people here. HE DELIVERED! Jack and I arrived at a more common home. A dirt floored, open roofed, bug filled home. Thank you God! Also thank you for Jack Jaspers bug net, he saved me aswell. This is kinda long so im going to do my best to wrap this up. Mom, dad, You know i love you guys and cant wait to see you in ? days! Billy, youre a stud and Matt Angel says hi, he loves you. Em, I love you too! Honey, no offense everyone but i miss her 2nd most. The #1 is you Grandma Maxine! I LOVE YOU! Try and be happy while im gone. But not too happy.. Also Hi Mahers! okay this is long. sorry. BYE! Buenos noches!

Hola Familia de Minnesota. Its me again.Today the mime team had an incredibly moving experience with a girl who is not able to walk and has limited control of her body. We were able to pray for her and to encourage her family. Please pray for her (Juli) and her family. Pray also for my teammates that they are able to process what we saw in a healthy way. Thank you so much.
Mom/Dad/M/J/C: I am feeling MUCH better today. Praise God!
Love you, Libby Shirley

NIKKI MILLER: Hi family!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay so basically i'm gonna be an awesome surgeon when i'm older:) I've been giving people shots...yes real actual injections of vitamin b and testing people's blood sugar levels!!! It has been so cool down here and SUCH an awesome experience!! All my home stays have been fabulous and i havent seen any bugs yet (yay). We've helped like over 900 people and given them all free med assistance, which is awesome:) Well I miss all of you so so so much (including Duke and Ryder), and i cannotw wait to see you all in 6 days in Minneapolis!! I actually havent been dying of heat and i havent gotten sick at all (God has for sure been on my side the whole trip) thank the LORD. Okay well hope EP is awesome as always and try not to miss me too much!!!!! Sending you MY LOVE from Guatemala!! Love you all beyond belief :):):) -your favorite daughter


Feliz dia de los padres!! sorry i can't be there with you but I miss you LOTS and love you!!!! -Taylor Halling

happy fathers day dad! love jack

Hey dad, Happy father's day!!! I've gotten through so far without dying or geting sick so that's all good I'll see you guys soon! - Cobi Linde

Hola mi padre! I love you dad! wish we could go fishing to celebrate but ill take a rain check till I get home! See you in a week!:-)

hi dad!! HAPPY HAPPY FATHERS DAY!! ilove you and hope you and tim are having a great time!! im having a blast! give tim a giant hug and an i love you from me! i'm giving you a hug from here! LOVE YOU AND HAPPY FATHERS DAY!! =] love your favorite daughter JULIA!!

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!! Hey, Dad. Im still alive so no need to worry. Just wanted to tell you and Obby that I love you both and that I miss you and I am thinking of you guys on theis Fathers Day. Sorry that I couldnt be there to celebrate this occasion with you guys. Love you ooodlessss! Camrie Vlasak

Happy Fathers Day! Love you so much and I will see you and mom soon! Love, Mariah Peterson

Happy fathers day Senor Dan Larson and Steve Berestka!!!!!  I hope you all have a wonderful fathers day full of love and yummy food!  I really wish I could be there with all of you!!  Con amor, Marissa Larson

HI DAD!!!! I am so sad I can't been home to hug you and tell you how much of an amazing father you are. I love you so so so much and I am so blessed to have you as my dad :) Love you!!! Emily Striker

Hi Daddy!!!! Just wanted to let you know that you're the best dad in the whole entire world :) andI have no clue what I would ever do without you! You do everything for the whole family and just know that you're appreciated. love you soooo much and miss you tons! wish i could be there with you and everyone as you celebrate.... you probably went to like Manny's. Love you!!! -Nikki Miller

Hey Daddy! I miss you a lot. I love reading your letters. I hope you are having a great father's day, but probally not as good as if i was there:).  We will have to celebrate again when i get home. Do you remember last year in Chicago when we went to that church and I had to present you with that hat? I do. I cant wait to see you! You are the best dad anyone could ever

ask for. You are nice, kind, caring, a good example, loving, and funny. I am very lucky to have you, and I am very proud of you. See you soon.
Lots of love
Sami Stinchfield














11 Comments:

  • At 11:24 PM , Anonymous Emily gavel said...

    Hi Lauren Falkanger!
    It's me emy bear all the way from Minnesota! I hope you're having a fantastic experience and you're loving every moment of it. You are very lucky to be apart of such a wonderful mission trip. I miss you very very much. Its weird not seeing you everyday. I'm so proud of you for doing this and I can't wait to see you and hear all about this trip. Eeeh

     
  • At 1:11 AM , Blogger Mari said...

    Hello friends!!!!
    I am so happy to read all of the sweet adventures you are all having down in Guatemala! :) I miss you all do much but I know you are doing great things for the lord there! I am praying for you all as you are down there and I can't wait to hear all about it! Sounds like all the teams are doing a great job and are staying healthy for the most part! Woohooo! That's good! Haha. But anyway have an awesomeeeee next week guys! Love you all! And Maddie I miss you bunches and love you tooooo!
    Mari Stensrud

     
  • At 1:11 AM , Blogger Mari said...

    Hello friends!!!!
    I am so happy to read all of the sweet adventures you are all having down in Guatemala! :) I miss you all do much but I know you are doing great things for the lord there! I am praying for you all as you are down there and I can't wait to hear all about it! Sounds like all the teams are doing a great job and are staying healthy for the most part! Woohooo! That's good! Haha. But anyway have an awesomeeeee next week guys! Love you all! And Maddie I miss you bunches and love you tooooo!
    Mari Stensrud

     
  • At 6:46 AM , Blogger Cinderbox said...

    Hello Brett..!!!
    SO much fun seeing pictures of you doing your service work and having such a great time. It made my day!!!
    Although I miss you so much, I am extremely happy that you are having such a great experience. :)
    Love you Bretter!
    Andrea Dow .. Brett's mom :)

     
  • At 8:59 AM , Anonymous Curt Swanson said...

    Hello Julia
    Giving a big hug to you from Tim and me. So assume what you're doing there. Keep it going. Saw a pile of soccer friends & class mates at a couple of Grad parties this weekend. They are all very envious of your trip and happy for you. Team won 1 & lost 1. :) Love dad

     
  • At 12:09 PM , Anonymous Mia and Dan said...

    Hi Sydney!!!
    BIG HUGS to you - how wonderful to hear how you are doing, see the great photos and hear about all of the wonderful things you and the entire team have accomplished. We love you very much. Keep up the great work and continue to be healthy, happy and safe.
    XOXO

     
  • At 3:34 PM , Anonymous Nancy McCormick said...

    It's so great to read posts directly from the students on their individual experiences. And good to hear from the mime team. :)
    Continuing to cover the whole group in prayer. Colossians 3:15
    Love & miss you Audrey! XO

     
  • At 6:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hola Marisa!! We have enjoyed reading the blog everyday and hearing what all of the teams are up to. Sounds like your Spanish is coming in handy and you are all having wonderful experiences. We can’t wait to hear all about it. We love you and miss you. Disfruta de tus últimos días! (I hope that is right—that is what Google translator said)
    Love Mom, Dad, Nate, and very tired Dennis (between the storms and a chase with a fox? he is a bit warn out)

     
  • At 7:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Kristen
    Love you, praying for you and your health, miss you!
    Mom

     
  • At 8:19 PM , Anonymous Andrea Dow said...

    Hi Brett..!!
    SO glad to hear that your team stayed back to finish the roof. Those women appreciate it way more than you will ever know, I bet.
    Miss you terribly but am so thrilled that you are doing such great work.
    Love you .. MOM
    (Brett Klimek's mom)

     
  • At 8:28 AM , Anonymous Lisa and Greg said...

    Hi Cobi!
    We are so happy for you and your team AND the entire group. You have all experienced some amazing things that God is showing you.
    We were happy to see your post - to see that you are ALIVE!
    We miss you so much, including Caleb. We are so excited to hear about what God has spoken to you.
    Love you sooo much! Mom and Dad and Caleb

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home